The telecoms minister said that Washington’s attempts to disable Iran’s rocket launch systems had been unsuccessful. It follows the US President’s surprise decision to call off air strikes on Iran in the early hours of Friday morning. Instead, the US carried out a long-planned cyber attack which intended to disarm Tehran’s missile capabilities.
Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi said: “They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack.
“The media asked if the claimed cyber attacks against Iran are true.
“Last year we neutralised 33 million attacks with the (national) firewall.”
Two former intelligence officials said the US targeted a spying group responsible for tracking ships in the Strait of Hormuz.
The minister said that Iran has been the victim of “cyber terrorism” – citing the Stuxnet virus as the West’s main weapon.
Discovered in 2010, it allegedly has the potential to damage nuclear facilities in Iran – but it appeared to be thwarted by increased Iranian cyber capabilities.
While tensions appeared to simmer after Mr Trump’s somewhat dovish decision last week, the cyberattack indicates that Washington will continue to pressure Tehran.
While the US President vowed retaliation for the downing of a valuable drone over Iranian airspace, he pulled back from a direct attack.
He said: “We want to be proportionate. We’re getting a lot of praise for what I did.
“We have plenty of time, we have plenty of time.”
Today the President officially imposed “hard-hitting” sanctions on Tehran, saying: “We will continue to increase pressure on Tehran, until the regime abandons its dangerous activities.
“We do not seek conflict with Iran or any other country.
“I can only tell you we cannot ever let Iran have a nuclear weapon.”
Instead, he claimed that he wanted a deal with Tehran that could “make Iran great again” – a version of the slogan coined by Mr Trump’s 2016 campaign.
His adviser Kellyanne Conway today said: “The President wants Iran to come to the table.
“He wants to negotiate with Iran. He doesn’t want war.
“But he also won’t allow them to engage in nuclear blackmail.”
Iran have responded in turn with concessions of their own as a government adviser claimed a deal could be reached soon.
Referring to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) – the official term for the nuclear deal – Hesameddin Ashena said: “The US offer for negotiations with no precondition is not acceptable while sanctions and threats continue.
“If they want something beyond the JCPOA, they should offer something beyond the JCPOA; with international guarantees.”
Tensions initially ramped up earlier this month when the US accused Iran of attacking two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
Tehran denied involvement, but shot down a US drone days later that was flying over Iranian airspace.