Talks could resume in the middle of this month according to a member of South Korean Parliament as Washington look for a meaningful denuclearisation agreement with Pyongyang. They met in Stockholm last month, but the talks in Sweden broke off with the North’s envoy saying the US failed to show flexibility. Any progress has been few and far between since fallout between both countries in Hanoi in February.
The negotiations in Vietnam had initially looked promising when a reporter asked Kim whether he was consider denuclearisation, to which the North Korean President responded “If I’m not willing to do that, I wouldn’t be here right now.”
However, just hours later a scheduled lunch between Trump and Kim, as well as a potential joint signing ceremony, was cancelled as talks ultimately fell flat.
Trump said in a press conference following the meeting that Kim had requested sanctions be lifted, to which the US President said: “Basically, they wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety and we couldn’t do that.
“We had to walk away from that particular suggestion. We had to walk away from that.”
Both sides are expected to meet again no later than early December to get the negotiations going before a year-end deadline set by Kim, a South Korean lawmaker Lee Eun-jae said after attending a briefing by the National Intelligence Service (NIS).
There was no immediate response from the US Embassy in Seoul to a request for comment.
Their latest test was on October 2, and saw their new-type submarine-launched ballistic missile land in the exclusive economic zone of Japan off Shimane Prefecture. North Korea said the launch was successful.
In July, a test was carried out where short range missiles landed in the Sea of Japan.
Following the launch of the short range missiles, North Korea called the tests a “solemn warning” against what it described as “South Korean warmongers”.