Tottenham vs Brighton postponed as Covid outbreak wreaks havoc on Spurs schedule | Football | Sport

0
17


Tottenham’s season continues to hold further delays after the club confirmed that their Premier League fixture against Brighton and Hove Albion this Sunday has been postponed after a Covid-19 breakout occured at the club.

Tottenham’s fixture against Burnley was postponed due to snow just a fortnight ago, with the Lilywhites already behind the rest of the Premier League in terms of games played, bar the Clarets.

The fixture is likely to be rearranged for January, with Spurs’ already hectic schedule now becoming busier with another game to comprehend after the frantic Christmas period.

And their season became much harder to manage after a coronavirus outbreak at the club occured earlier this week.

A number of playing and coaching staff contracted the virus, with latest reports suggesting that at least 12 staff had tested positive.

And after news that their Europa Conference game against Rennes had been postponed due to the outbreak, the club have also confirmed their fixture against the Seagulls’ had been postponed with a future date to be announced.

A statement from the club said: “We can confirm that our Premier League fixture at Brighton & Hove Albion, on Sunday 12 December at 2pm, has been postponed following a Premier League Board meeting this afternoon (Thursday).”

“The Premier League Board took the decision to postpone the game following guidance from medical advisers, with the health of players and staff the priority. The fixture will be rescheduled in due course.

“The Club requested the match to be rearranged following a significant number of positive COVID-19 cases among players and relevant staff.

“As with our other affected fixture, against Stade Rennais in the Europa Conference League, we shall update supporters with more information as soon as it is available.

“We should like to apologise to everyone at Stade Rennais and Brighton & Hove Albion and to both their supporters and ours for any inconvenience caused.

“We should also like to thank both clubs for their understanding during these challenging times.”

With the club now unsure on a date ahead of their crunch continental tie against Rennes, they are also set to fall behind in their Premier League schedule.

And the French side vented their anger in an official statement.

“Following the press release published by Tottenham at 9pm, this Wednesday, Stade Rennais FC would like to clarify the following facts,” the French side said.

We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

For the latest news and breaking news visit: express.co.uk/sport/football

Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real time.

We’re also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport – offering your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day to like, comment and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Express.co.uk.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here