Queen dead: Police take dramatic action as crowd of mourners swells around Buckingham Palace


British authorities have been forced to take dramatic action and close off access to Green Park, the nearest station to Buckingham Palace, as the crowd of mourners overwhelmed the area on Sunday.

Members of the public have been gathering outside the Queen’s London residence since news of her declining health broke on Thursday, with that number increasing following news of her death and then across the weekend. It had grown to what appeared to be the largest crowd yet by Sunday afternoon.

A police officer stationed at the Green Park underground station exit confirmed to news.com.au that “too much congestion” had forced them to block access for the second day in a row.

With the Queen’s coffin making its way from Edinburgh to London this week and the nation still in mourning, the size of the crowd is expected to continue to swell.

A massive queue estimated to stretch to around one kilometre has been snaking around Buckingham Palace towards Green Park for days, with mourners waiting in line to leave their tributes to the late monarch.

The pile of flowers has been expanding significantly each day, along with written messages, balloons and candles dedicated to the Queen.

Those flooding the area outside the Palace on Sunday caught glimpses of the new King, with an emotional Charles driving down The Mall and waving to crowds as he went about his second day of royal duties.

The Queen’s coffin is reportedly due to be flown to London on Tuesday, where it’s likely to be at rest within Buckingham Palace, before her lying in state begins on Wednesday at Westminster Hall.

Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to file past the Queen’s coffin to pay their respects during the four-day period.

Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral will then be held on Monday, September 19 at Westminster Abbey at 11am, marking the culmination of ten days of official mourning.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here