PIP: Six vital changes claimants must report to DWP – ‘could be taken to court’ | Personal Finance | Finance


3. If you go abroad

According to Citizens Advice, the DWP will usually stop PIP payments if a person leaves Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland) for more than 13 weeks – or 26 weeks if they leave to get medical treatment.

However, it advises people to tell the DWP if they’re going abroad for less than 13 weeks just in case they try to contact the person while they’re away.

If a PIP claimant moves to the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein, they still may be able to claim the daily living component, but the DWP must be informed beforehand.

Upon their return to Great Britain, the claimant must make a new claim if they need payments to restart.

However, if the Briton returns before 12 months, they can make a ‘rapid claim’, which means they can get paid more quickly and won’t have to go through the assessment process again.

4. If you go into hospital or a care home

It’s also advised people inform the DWP if they go into hospital or a care home, but the rules differ for both.

If a person’s in hospital for more than 28 days, the DWP will usually pause their PIP claim and stop paying them.

However, this does not apply for claimants under 18 or paying for private care.

In the instance of care homes, the DWP will usually stop paying the ‘daily living component’ of PIP if a person spends 28 days or more there.

The daily living component is for extra help with everyday tasks. However, going into a care home won’t affect PIP claimants if they’re paying to stay privately, according to Citizens Advice.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here