PIP: Britons with stress and anxiety may get up to £608 per month | Personal Finance | Finance


Personal Independence Payments (PIP) are for UK residents who are living with a health condition or disability that impacts their everyday life. While physical conditions may be more obvious, mental health charities are reminding people that they may be entitled to financial help if they are living with stress and anxiety that affects their everyday lives. According to Mental Health charity MIND, there is a general misconception that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) only awards PIP to people who have obvious physical health conditions or disabilities.

There’s a full list of conditions on the Citizens Advice website for those who are wishing to check their eligibility for payments.

However, some examples of mental health conditions for which people could recieve support are Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety disorders and panic disorder.

It could mean between £23.70 and £152.15 per week extra for people over 16 and below state pension age, depending on how their condition impacts their everyday life and ability to work.

PIP payments are not means tested which means it doesn’t matter how much income or savings a person has, and the payment is also tax-free. 

The first part of PIP is the daily living component, set at either £60.00 or £89.60 per week.

The weekly sum for the mobility part is either £23.70 or £62.55 by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

This means if a person is in receipt of the higher part of both mobility and daily living, they could be entitled to some £608 per month.

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the benefit that is gradually replacing the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), due to the latter benefit being gradually phased out entirely.

Some people will carry on getting DLA if they were 65 or over on April 8, 2013, however, for everyone else aged 16 and over, DLA payments will stop and they will need to make a claim for PIP instead.

Claimants should not worry, though, as they should receive a letter from the DWP if they need to do anything further.

Individuals may also benefit from talking to an advisor at Citizens Advice if they require help filling out any of the forms related to PIP.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here