Jose Mourinho explains Tottenham transfer stance on new striker amid Danny Ings links | Football | Sport

0
26


Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has dismissed rumours that the club will be in the market for a new striker this month. Recent reports have suggested that Southampton talisman Danny Ings could join Spurs before next week’s transfer deadline, with Mourinho’s side looking to fire themselves back into contention for the Premier League title.

It has been claimed that Tottenham enquired about the possibility of signing the 28-year-old during the summer but were firmly rebuffed by Southampton, who expressed no intention of losing their star man.

Ings was just two goals away from becoming the Premier League’s top scorer last season and has carried his form into the current campaign, finding the back of the net on seven occasions from 13 top-flight appearances.

The forward, who is said to be keen on the prospect of Champions League football, is yet to commit his future to Southampton with talks over a new deal still ongoing.

Speaking in his press conference on Friday, Mourinho refused to comment on the speculation linking Spurs with a mid-season move for Ings after hinting that he is more than satisfied with his current squad.

JUST IN: Tottenham boss Mourinho makes final Eder Militao transfer decision

The Portuguese boss claimed that there is no problem with his current backup option, Carlos Vinicius, who is two-thirds of the way through an 18-month loan spell from Portuguese heavyweights Benfica.

“We are not a team that needs a third striker because the third striker is Sonny,” Mourinho explained.

“Of course we have the best. We are happy with Carlos. Carlos is not our player, he’s a Benfica player, but he’s a player we’re looking to develop.

“Ings, of course, I refuse totally to say any word about him because he’s a Southampton player.”

DON’T MISS

Although Ings is yet to agree extended terms with Southampton, Ralph Hassenhuttl is confident the England striker will put pen to paper eventually.

The Saints boss revealed earlier this month that he sees Ings as an integral part of the club’s immediate future and suggested the player wants to stay.

“This is not a big surprise when I say he is very important for our game, he knows this, we know this,” he said.

“We have won games without him but for the long term [when he is out for a long time] we really feel it and the quality he has is definitely outstanding and definitely important for us.

“It is (difficult) for us as a club to sub him or to use somebody who is at the same level as he is, so this is also why we really tried to extend his contract, this is not a surprise and not a secret.

“I think everybody is losing a lot of money at the moment with this crisis we are going through, so we can only do what we are able to do and what is still [financially] healthy for us and that’s why we are looking, I think.

“Danny chose to be with us, he wants to be with the club and we know that he’s an important player for us and I’m still hoping that we find an agreement and then finally he stays with us.”





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here