European Super League: Liverpool chief John Henry issues video apology to fans and Klopp | Football | Sport

0
20


Liverpool owner John Henry has this morning issued a video message, in which he has sincerely apologise for the club’s involvement in the European Super League. The Reds were confirmed as one of 12 founding members earlier this week before eventually deciding to withdraw late last night following a fierce backlash from supporters.

Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group planned to address club staff on the move on Tuesday morning.

Chief executive Billy Hogan sent an email around reaffirmed to Liverpool’s employees that they would be kept informed on any potential changes.

That meeting was then hastily cancelled after the 1-1 draw at Leeds, as doubts started to emerge about Liverpool’s involvement.

The club confirmed last night that they had officially started legal proceedings to back out of the breakaway agreement.

It read: “Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

TOP STORY: Man United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal complete European Super League withdrawal

“In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.”

And now Henry, who has remained silent throughout proceedings, has recorded a video message apologising to the fans, Jurgen Klopp, his players and staff.

“I want to apologise to all the fans of Liverpool Football Club for all of the disruption I caused over the past 48 hours,” he said on the club’s social media accounts.

“It goes without saying but it should be said that the project put forward was never going to stand without the support of the fans.

“No one ever thought differently in England. Over these past 48 hours you were very clear that it would not stand.

“We heard you, I heard you. I want to apologise to Jurgen, Billy [Hogan], the players and everybody who worked so hard at LFC to make our fan’s proud.

“They have absolutely no responsibility for this disruption, they were the most disrupted and unfairly so. This is what hurts most and worked to make you proud every single day.”

Henry is clearly remorseful for the abuse Klopp and the Liverpool squad received when arriving at Elland Road on Monday.

He later added: “I know the entire LFC team has the expertise, leadership and passion necessary to rebuild trust and help us move forward.

“More than a decade ago when we signed up for the challenges associated with football, we dreamed of what you dreamed of.

“And we’ve worked hard to improve your club. Our work isn’t done.

“And I hope you’ll understand that even when we make mistakes, we’re trying to work in your club’s best interests. In this endeavour I’ve let you down.

“Again, I’m sorry, and I alone am responsible for the unnecessary negativity brought forward over the past couple of days.

“It’s something I won’t forget. And shows the power the fans have today and will rightly continue to have.

“If there’s one thing this horrible pandemic has clearly shown, it’s how crucial fans are to our sport and to every sport.

“It’s shown in every empty stadium. It’s been an incredibly tough year for all of us; virtually no-one unaffected. It’s important that the Liverpool football family remains intact, vital and committed to what we’ve seen from you globally, with local gestures of kindness and support.

“I can promise you I will do whatever I can to further that.”





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here