DWP update: Britons will need to act as Post Office accounts close – key steps to take | Personal Finance | Finance


The DWP oversees a number of important payments including the state pension, Universal Credit and PIP. Those in receipt of these sums will want to receive the amount to which they are entitled in a quick and easy way which suits their needs. Indeed, having an account into which the payments are issued is the most popular way of receiving Government support.

The DWP is now writing to individuals who are impacted by these changes, but also released a statement relating to the issue.

It said: “Our dedicated customer service centre is available to take calls from POca customers, to accept new account details or answer any questions.

“We will ensure all future payments are switched to the customer’s new account from the next available payment date and there will be no interruptions with their payments.”

Britons will, though, need to take steps ahead of the closure of Post Office card accounts.

And acting sooner rather than later will help in the rush which is likely to occur the closer the deadline becomes.

What individuals will need to do is tell the DWP about another bank account into which they can receive payment.

People may already have a bank, building society or credit union account independent of their POca.

However, some will need to establish an account into which they can receive their payments.

The Money Advice Service explains: “Most current or basic accounts from UK banks, building societies and credit unions will already accept automated payments for your Universal Credit, other benefits or your state pension.

“This could be a current account from a bank, building society or credit union or a basic fee-free bank account.”

When this new account is opened, Britons will need to give the details to the DWP.

This can be done via the phone or by writing a letter with the details if a person has already received correspondence from the DWP about the matter.

Payment recipients should try to do this as soon as a new account has been opened.

But it is equally important not to close the Post Office card account straight away.

Instead, individuals should wait until they start receiving their payments into the new account before closing down the old one.

This will ensure they do not miss out on the funds to which they are entitled for any length of time.

Britons can close the Post Office Card account by using a P6703 form, which can be accessed either from a local Post Office or by calling the Post Office contact centre. 

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here