DWP issues new warning to anyone claiming PIP | Personal Finance | Finance


The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has issued a fresh alert to those receiving Personal Independence Payment (PIP). They are being urged to see if they can receive additional money through other benefits, allowances and top-ups. However, people should also be mindful of rules that could reduce their payments.

Although PIP is not part of the current £299 cost-of-living payment being distributed until this week in a £900 package, many recipients may also be getting one of the benefits that do qualify.

In 2023, the DWP provided six million people who get PIP and other disability benefits with a separate £150 cost-of-living payment. It was estimated that nearly 60 per cent of people on disability benefits were also receiving a means-tested benefit that qualified for the £900 package sent out in three instalments. So, what other benefits can you get with PIP? The DWP has clarified the rules for combined claims. You can get more story updates straight to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletters here.

Government guidance states that you can receive PIP at the same time as all other benefits, except for Armed Forces Independence Payment. This means you could be entitled to PIP as well as Universal Credit, which has its own sickness and disability payment, known as LCWRA (limited capability for work and work-related activity), according to Walesonline.

However, if you’re claiming PIP with another benefit, you might not get the full amount. For example, if you receive Constant Attendance Allowance, you’ll get less of the daily living part of PIP. And if you’re also on War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement, you won’t be entitled to the mobility part of PIP.

The rules also say that if you get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Housing Benefit along with PIP, you could qualify for a disability premium on top of those other benefits. Also, you might be able to get a discount on your council tax through your local council’s Council Tax Support scheme, which used to be called Council Tax Benefit. This could lower or even wipe out your council tax bill, depending on the rules in your area.

If someone helps look after you, they might be able to get Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Credit. When claiming Carer’s Allowance, you get £76.75 a week, which will go up to £81.90 from April.

But it’s important to remember that Carer’s Credit doesn’t give you any extra money. Instead, it adds to your National Insurance contributions which count towards the value of your State Pension. To qualify for Carer’s Credit, the person you’re caring for must get one of the following:

If the person you’re looking after doesn’t get one of these benefits, you might still be able to get Carer’s Credit. When you apply, fill in the Care Certificate part of the application form and have it signed by a health or social care professional.

If you’re a pensioner getting PIP, there are extra rules about the mobility component paid to help with getting around. These rules say that you can’t start getting the mobility component if you aren’t already getting it, and you can’t move from the standard rate of mobility to the enhanced rate. These rules apply even if your medical condition has got worse.

A PIP claim will be looked at again after reporting a change of circumstances such as going into hospital or a care home and this could result in the amount being reduced if it is decided your condition has got better. Once you are a pensioner, you can’t put in a new claim for PIP but must apply for Attendance Allowance instead.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here