Cristiano Ronaldo‘s agent Jorge Mendes could reportedly be set to play a role in Liverpool‘s transfer business by helping them to land Wolves midfielder Matheus Nunes, one of his other clients, as a cut-price alternative to Borussia Dortmund starlet Jude Bellingham. The Reds have been heavily linked with a move for Bellingham over the last few years, with the England ace said to be keenly admired by those in power at Anfield.
Liverpool would likely be forced into breaking their transfer record to land Bellingham next summer, though, with Dortmund set to demand a fee in excess of £100million in exchange for the 19-year-old playmaker. However, it seems as though Mendes could be set to help the Reds find a cheaper option in the form of Nunes, who is on their list of potential midfield targets ahead of next season, according to Portuguese outlet UOL.
Nunes only joined Wolves from Sporting over the summer but is believed to be among the names on Liverpool’s radar, with the Merseyside giants having initially taken a liking to the player during his time in Portugal. They are still keeping a close eye on his development at Wolves and may consider making a bid next summer if he impresses over the course of his debut Premier League campaign.
Liverpool director Julian Ward is thought to have a strong working relationship with Mendes, who is responsible for overseeing the careers of Nunes, Ronaldo and a selection of other high-profile players. He also represents Reds new boy Darwin Nunez and helped to negotiate the 23-year-old’s big-money move to Anfield from Benfica during the summer window.
It remains to be seen whether Mendes will be in contact with Liverpool once again next summer regarding the future of Nunes, with the Wolves man having turned plenty of heads with his early performances in the Premier League so far this season. It is said that Bellingham remains firmly at the top of Liverpool’s wish list after establishing himself as one of the finest young players in Europe, but Dortmund’s nine-figure asking price could put a deal in jeopardy if they fail to budge on their stance in negotiations.
Bellingham also remains tied down to his current employers until the summer of 2025 and there is no guarantee that he will want to cut ties with Dortmund in order to join Liverpool at the end of the season. He insisted earlier this week that he is not thinking about the possibility of a move away as things stand, with his sights firmly set on the future at Dortmund as he looks to continue his development on an upward trajectory.
“I’m here to win for Borussia Dortmund and I’m very happy here at the minute, I’m focused on all of the goals we have as a team and I’m not looking past that,” Bellingham told reporters before scoring for Dortmund in their defeat to Manchester City in the Champions League on Wednesday.
“The club have done loads for me and made me feel very welcome since I first came and gave me the opportunities to develop even further. To look past that and into the future would be disrespectful. It’s not something I am thinking about, to be honest.”
Want the latest Premier League news as we publish it on Express Sport? Join our Facebook group by clicking here