Council Tax rise calculator – see how much bills in your area will increase next month | Personal Finance | Finance


Almost every council in England is planning to hike bills by the maximum amount in April, in fresh misery for cash-strapped households.

The vast majority of councils (91 percent) plan to raise bills by 4.99 percent in April, according to an analysis by The Mirror.

This marks the highest increase allowed without a referendum. An additional five percent of councils intend to raise bills by just under the maximum limit.

This means that homes in tax band B and D areas face an average hike of almost £84 a year, with 85 percent of homes in that band set to pay over £2,000 a year.

Crisis-hit Birmingham City Council and Thurrock Council are among those given special permission by the Government to impose bigger hikes – of 9.99 percent and 7.99 percent respectively.

Some councils will impose a 4.99 percent rise but will protect some residents, such as Tower Hamlets Council in London, where households with an income below £49,500 will be shielded.

You can see how much bills will be increasing in your area by using our interactive:

Greg Wilson, founder and CEO of comparison site noted the importance of households checking to see how much their annual bills could be increasing.

He said: “In April council tax payments will be going up, so it’s important to know what to expect.

“Residents should check if the band they’re in is correct, any changes to your property and you could be able to propose a new band.”

People may also be able to claim some money off their bills, depending on their circumstances.

Council Tax discounts

Mr Wilson highlighted: “Any single-adult households are eligible for a 25 percent discount on council tax.

“You’re also exempt from council tax payments for several reasons, including if you’re a full-time student or a live-in carer.

People might be able to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption if they, or someone they live, with is disabled.

One scenario in which a person may be able to claim a discount is if they live in a larger house than they would need due to the disability. They’ll have to prove they have extra space, such as an additional bathroom or room.

People might also be able to apply for a discount if they, or someone they live with, is “severely mentally impaired”.

If the claimant is severely mentally impaired, they can claim a 100 percent discount, while those who live with a severely mentally impaired person can claim a 25 percent discount.

People who are on a low income or receive certain benefits could also be eligible to claim through the Council Tax Reduction scheme. This scheme enables councils to offer as much as a 100 percent discount on council tax bills, while others can marginally reduce it.

How much a person gets depends on their income, such as the number of children; benefits; residency status; savings; pensions; partner’s income; and who lives with them.

As each local council run its own Council Tax Support schemes, how a person makes a claim might differ depending on where they live.

However, the first thing a person should do when making a claim is to contact their local council. People can find out what theirs might be by typing their postcode into this Government tool.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here