Father-of-two Steve Walsh has been placed in quarantine in a London hospital after catching the disease at a conference in Singapore at the end of last month, before returning home to Hove in Sussex via a skiing holiday in the Alps. It is feared Mr Walsh has come into contact with hundreds of people during his return to Britain, but he has insisted he has beaten the deadly disease. Speaking from hospital, he said in a statement: “I would like to thank the NHS for their help and care – whilst I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others who have contracted coronavirus.
“As soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus I contacted my GP, NHS 111 and Public Health England.
“I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, despite showing no symptoms, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed.
“When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to an isolation unit in hospital, where I remain, and, as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate themselves.
“I also thank friends, family and colleagues for their support during recent weeks and I ask the media to respect our privacy.”
Coronavirus news: The “super-spreader” in Brighton has been identified as 53-year-old Steve Walsh
Mr Walsh contracted the virus while attending a conference at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Singapore. This was organised by Servomex, a British gas analytics company he works for.
He then travelled to Les Contamines-Montjoie for a skiing holiday to stay with two friends, who own the chalet where 11 people were exposed to the virus.
They are both believed to have coronavirus, as well as their nine-year-old son.
Mr Walsh then flew to London from Geneva via easyJet along with more than 100 passengers and crew before visiting his local pub, The Brigadier in Hove, and a group yoga session in a church hall.
He took himself to Brighton hospital’s A&E with flu symptoms before being rushed into quarantine in London last week.
A Servomex spokesman told MailOnline: ‘We are very pleased that Steve Walsh has made a full recovery. We continue to provide support to him and his family.
“We are working with Public Health authorities to ensure the welfare of our staff and communities and wish anyone with the virus a quick and full recovery.”
FOR THE LATEST CORONAVIRUS UPDATES, FOLLOW OUR LIVE BLOG BELOW:
Coronavirus news: A man in protective clothing cleaning the County Oak Medical Centre GP practice in Brighton
9.55am update: Second GP surgery branch in Brighton shut
A second GP surgery branch in Brighton has been shut following the outbreak of coronavirus in the city.
On Monday, the County Oak Medical Centre closed “because of an urgent operational health and safety reason”.
But today (Tuesday), a second branch of the surgery located less than two miles away has now also been closed.
A sign on the door of the Deneway branch says: “The surgery is closed due to organisational health and safety reasons.
“Please contact 111 if you need to speak to a health professional.”
Coronavirus news: Laboratory technicians collect a sample from a person to be tested for coronavirus in China
9.40am update: Coronavirus emergency ‘holds very grave threat for world’ – World Health Organisation warning
The coronavirus outbreak poses a “very grave threat for the rest of the world”, the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned.
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was speaking during a meeting of more than 400 researchers and national authorities, including some participating by video conference from mainland China and Taiwan.
He said: “With 99 percent of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world.”
9.30am update: Coronavirus outbreak may peak in DAYS
China’s coronavirus epidemic may peak within days and the plateau before easing, the government’s top medical adviser on the outbreak said.
Zhong Nanshan, a leading epidemiologist who won international fame for his role in combating the SARS epidemic in 2003, had previously predicted an earlier peak, said the forecast was based on modelling and developments in recent days, as well as government action.
He told Reuters: “So, we suppose maybe, the peak time may be reached at the, maybe middle or late this month, February, and then keep a little bit plateau or something like that and, then going down.”
9.25am update: Thailand reports new coronavirus case – total increases to 33
Thailand has recorded a new case of coronavirus, bringing the total in the country to 33.
The new case is a 54-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan who has been placed in quarantine after coming into contact with another Chinese virus patient while in Thailand, said Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchia, the director-general of the Department of Disease Control.
Ten of the infected people have recovered and returned home, while 23 are still being treated in hospital.
Coronavirus news: The director general of the World Health Organisation issued a terrifying warning
9.20am update: Vietnam’s coronavirus cases increase to 15 – baby infected
The number of coronavirus cases in Vietnam has increased to 15 as a three-month-old baby was infected by her grandmother, who tested positive for the virus on Sunday.
The health ministry said 10 out of 15 confirmed cases are from the northern province of Vinh Phuc.
9.15am update: First case of coronavirus confirmed in San Diego, California
The first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in San Diego, California in a person who was aboard the first US evacuation flight from Wuhan, China.
This is according to a report from local television station 10News, citing an official familiar with the situation.
The official said the person was an adult who was taken to the University of California San Diego Medical Centre for treatment.
9.10am update: Passengers stopped from leaving cruise ship amid coronavirus fears
Thailand has refused permission for passengers to leave Holland America’s cruise ship MS Westerdam, its health minister has said.
The company said on Monday passengers would disembark in Bangkok on Thursday and that there was no reason to believe anybody aboard had the virus.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said in a Facebook post: “I have issued orders. Permission to disembark refused.”
Coronavirus news: What are the symptoms of coronavirus?
9.05am update: Philippine airlines cancel flights to Taiwan
Philippine airlines have cancelled flights to Taiwan after the government expanded its travel ban to include all foreigners coming from the island.
Philippine Airlines (PAL) and Cebu Pacific are cancelling flights to and from Taiwan as part of desperate attempts to manage the risks from the coronavirus outbreak.
PAL spokeswoman Cielo Villaluna said in a statement: “These restrictions are in relation to the coronavirus situation, in the interest of public health and safety.”
9am update: Coronavirus death toll surges past 1,000 in mainland China
China reported 108 new coronavirus deaths on the mainland on Monday, up from 97 on the previous day.
The National Health Commission said The total number of deaths on the mainland has now reached 1,016.
There were 2,478 new confirmed cases on the mainland on Monday, down down from 3,062 on the previous day, bringing the total to 42,638.
8.50am update: Patients of coronavirus-hit healthcare workers in Brighton being traced
Health officials are desperately trying to trace patients of two healthcare workers who are among eight people in the UK to be diagnosed with coronavirus.
The pair, working in a general practice in Brighton, are believed to have been in contact with around a dozen patients.
They were two of four new cases announced on Monday, all of whom contracted the virus in France and are now being treated at specialist infection centres at St Thomas’ and the Royal Free hospitals in London.