AFL Trade Period Day 2: Live updates, Collingwood moves, Scott Pendlebury call, Lachie Neale rumour,

0
14


Collingwood had landed the first player trade of the week, doing a deal with Geelong after some good news about captain Scott Pendlebury.

Day two of the AFL Trade Period is upon us.

Collingwood has reason to smile, securing a player from Geelong shortly after being buoyed by the news captain Scott Pendlebury had re-signed with the club.

Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

These updates come after the Pies did a pick swap with Gold Coast on Monday to give them more currency in this year’s draft.

First player trade deal done

The first deal involving a player this Trade Period has been done.

Collingwood traded pick 41 to Geelong in return for pick 55 and 22-year-old Nathan Kreuger, who has played two AFL games for the Cats.

Pendlebury signs Collingwood extension

Scott Pendlebury has signed a two-year contract extension that will see him remain at Collingwood until the end of 2023.

The Magpies skipper caused controversy in August with comments he made on radio when he suggested he’d be open to looking at alternative options if something couldn’t be worked out with Collingwood.

But his future is secure and he’ll extend his stay at the Pies to 18 seasons.

Could Lachie Neale still leave Brisbane?

After reports emerged Lachie Neale was contemplating a return to Western Australia, the Lions star came out last month and shut down speculation by committing to Brisbane.

But is that all she wrote?

There are rumours a trade might still be done that could see the 2020 Brownlow medallist head back to Fremantle, after he and wife Julie welcomed their first child into the world last week.

Reports suggested the pair wanted to be closer to family and friends in WA to raise their family before Neale said publicly he will be in Brisbane next year. But AFL journalist Sam McClure told 3AW’s Sportsday Neale “might still be out (of Brisbane), it’s not over”.

Speaking on Trade Radio, Port Adelaide legend Kane Cornes added: “Watch this space, that‘s the deal we need to happen.

“That would be amazing if that one bopped up again despite the fact that he said he’s sticking around.”

Shock over Carlton call, Cat’s big decision

Former AFL recruiter Matt Rendell has hit out at Carlton for offering Sydney Swans star George Hewett a four-year deal.

The Blues are desperate for success under new coach Michael Voss, who replaced David Teague after he was sacked following another disappointing campaign that saw Carlton miss the finals for an eighth straight season.

But Rendell says Carlton has invested too heavily in Hewett.

“With all due respect to George … he’s a good player, but he’s been playing as a tagger for two or three years,” Rendell told AFL Trade Radio.

“Are you giving taggers four years now? I assume they’ve got him in to play the same role.

“I don’t know what sort of money it is … I was as shocked as everyone else when he got four years.”

Hewett debuted in 2016 and played 120 games for the Swans before agreeing to join Carlton. A restricted free agent, his move to Victoria gives Sydney a second round compensation pick at this year’s draft.

Meanwhile, Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd is shocked Geelong’s Quinton Narkle didn’t explore his options and instead signed a one-year deal to remain at the Cats next season.

Narkle has struggled to command a regular spot in the starting line-up, playing just 33 games across four seasons.

Lloyd believes the 23-year-old should have sought a longer-term deal elsewhere, especially as questions are asked about whether it’s time for Geelong to rebuild after a disappointing loss in this year’s preliminary final.

“Every year you ask yourself, ‘How are we going to get better?’ That’s natural growth,” Lloyd told AFL Trade Radio’s The Early Trade.

“They’ve got Jordan Clark, who is leaving. I was shocked that Narkle signed a one-year deal.

“I would have taken a three-year deal somewhere else if I was Narkle with the lack of want to play him.

“I’m really, really concerned about Geelong.”

Swans star will be a ‘huge loss’

AFL legend Gerard Healy says Jordan Dawson will be a “huge loss” to Sydney after he requested a trade home to South Australia.

The 24-year-old had a breakout season in 2021 but is keen to play for the Crows next year.

“Dawson is a huge loss,” Healy told 3AW’s Sportsday.

“Dawson is on the cusp of becoming an All-Australian player. He was top five in their best and fairest and was a significant part of any premiership hopes they would have had for the next year or two.

“It makes it a lot more difficult (to win premierships) when you’re losing a top five in your best and fairest who delivers the ball as well as he does.

“He intercepts the ball, he can play on the wing, he can play up forward, he can play half-back – he’s a very, very good player.”



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here