Additional Restrictions Grant: Who can claim the Additional Restrictions Grant? | Personal Finance | Finance


The Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) saw the Government provide discretionary funding to local authorities in an effort to support businesses that weren’t eligible for a Local Restrictions Support Grant (LSRG). The new measure has set the Treasury back a huge £4billion. Announcing the grant, Chancellor Rishi Sunak said: “The new strain of the virus presents us all with a huge challenge.”

The Chancellor added: “While the vaccine is being rolled out, we have needed to tighten restrictions further.

“Throughout the pandemic, we have taken swift action to protect lives and livelihoods and today we’re announcing a further cash injection to support businesses and jobs until the Spring.

“This will help businesses to get through the months ahead – and crucially it will help sustain jobs, so workers can be ready to return when they are able to reopen.”

The ARG has already been in operation during this pandemic, with this being the second round of the payment covering December 31 to February 15.

READ MORE: SEISS 4: Newly self employed have a ‘hope of positive change’ in SEISS

Who can claim the Additional Restrictions Grant?

The ARG provides local councils with grant funding, which doesn’t have to ever be paid back.

The funding is designed to support closed businesses which don’t directly pay business rates, as well as businesses which don’t have to close down but are impacted.

In addition, larger grants can be issued than those made through the now-closed LSRG scheme.

With the funding in hand, local authorities can then determine which businesses to target the support at and determine how much they will get from the ARG.

The end of the transition period on December 31, 2020, saw the UK leave the EU following four years of back-and-forth negotiations.

Luckily for ARG claimants, Britain’s new status doesn’t impose any changes to the grant scheme.

Your local council will set out their own eligibility requirements for the scheme, so you should contact them to find out more.

If you want to find the website for your local council, you can use the Government’s postcode tracker here.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here