3 Canadians sickened in France’s botulism outbreak are from Quebec


The Public Health Agency of Canada has confirmed that the three Canadians who fell ill in a botulism outbreak in France are from Quebec.

They’re among at least 12 people who have suspected botulism after eating sardines prepared and served at Tchin Tchin Wine Bar, in a tourist area of Bordeaux, France.

So far, health officials in France have linked the illnesses to homemade sardine preserves served at the restaurant.

Some patients have been released from hospital, but most of them are in intensive care or critical condition.

Canada’s public health agency says it cannot divulge the condition of the patients from Quebec because it is considered private health information.

Other tourists from the U.S., Ireland, Germany and Spain were among those sickened.

“One case, not from Canada, has died,” the Public Health Agency of Canada said in a statement on Thursday.

The individuals ate at the restaurant between Sept. 4 and Sept. 10. France’s public health agency is leading the investigation

Foodborne botulism is an illness from eating contaminated products.

Canadian health officials say anyone who ate at the wine bar during that time should self-monitor and get immediate medical care if they have symptoms.

Symptoms of foodborne botulism include nausea, vomiting, constipation, blurred or double vision, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth or difficulty breathing.

Botulism can cause respiratory failure, paralysis and sometimes death.

The restaurant is located near the Rugby World Cup 2023 fan zone. 

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here